Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sea + Horse = Seahorse


While brainstorming what cool animals I could design, I ran out of ideas believing that "It's not right" or "This isn't it." When I gave up and asked a friend what animal he would draw if he had to.. He responded with a simple answer... Seahorse. Lol.. Why didn't I think of that? I thanked him and told him I had chosen this animal. After researching, I realized how much I liked this gentle creature. The shape was unique and memorable. The seahorse also practices monogamy and court one another for a decent amount of time before mating. The weird thing is that the males nurture and bear the unborn young.. If only it was like this in humans... Straying from the facts, the symbolic meanings are also interesting. At first I was sketchy because seahorses are usually static and best viewed from the profile, but I figure it will be fun to tweak it here and there to make it work. Back in the day, Ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the seahorse was an attribute of the sea god Poseidon or Neptune. Seahorses represent strength, luck, patience, protection, friendliness and more. They are content to be who they are since they are inflexible, stubborn, and persistent. They gain perspective and are aware of the things around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment